1937 Rolls Phantom 111 4 Light Swept Tail Close Coupled Touring Limousine by Barker Chassis No.3BT143 Engine no.E38X bearing the original reg.no. ELF 351.
This example of what is the rarest and arguably the finest model built by Rolls-Royce was delivered to F.W. Wignall in late 1937 being a one-off design to his own specification with unusual and special features which run to 2 whole pages in the Works build records including everything from the shape of the passenger seats to the special ventilation which involves swivelling windows to all doors, a totally unique design. He was married to Ethel Marguerite the granddaughter of Henry Tate of Tate & Lyle sugar refiners and the benefactor of the Tate Gallery in London. Frederick William Wignall was a cotton broker and renowned polo player who had been High Sheriff of Cheshire and Deputy-Lieutenant of Sutherland in Scotland where he also had a home. The car remained in his family ownership until 1951 when it was purchased by E.R.Charles in Wales, by W.H.Trigg of Colby House Hampshire in 1953 who purchased it from the Jack o, Lantern Garage, by Leonard Taylor of Somerset in 1962. In 1966 the car was owned by Ed R. Goodrich in Oklahoma USA , in 1973 by Jack Staples in Florida then Joe C. Brettner in Florida before returning to the UK and being offered for sale by Clarendons of London and purchased by J.H. Broadbent an RREC member in 1988 then to J.S. Davidson of Aberdeenshire in 1989.
During the next 4 years under the supervision of Reg Vardy the Rolls-Royce Main Dealer in Houghton -le-Spring Durham the car was sent to Kevin Nelson at Greens of Grangetown in Cleveland for a ground up refurbishment including a back to bare metal repaint including the chassis and running gear ,full rechrome and complete retrim and refurbishment of the woodwork to the highest standard and was his final commission before retirement. The car upon completion of the restoration was displayed at the Reg Vardy Rolls Royce Main Dealer showroom prior to purchase by a titled gentleman who is one of the best known business figures in the north east of England and for the last 20 years has formed part of the private collection at his country estate one of the finest in the UK. The car is most unusual for a Phantom 111 touring saloon/limousine or any other 4 door Rolls of the period in that the drivers compartment is designed with an owner driver in mind having legroom for a 6ft plus driver with individual adjustable front seats with the benefit of a large sliding sun roof, as opposed to a Sedanca or closed car with minimal space for a lightly built chauffeur or Odd Job and space for 5 or 6 passengers to the rear .
The rear compartment of this car offers privacy to the passengers with seating for 3 in arms reach of the retractable division with Epergne vases to each side and twin picnic tables with document cases and a small drinks cabinet with hip flask to the centre and adjustable footrest to each side. Overall the car has a much lighter feel to it than the usual cavernous examples with face forward occasionals designed to convey the large families of the aristocracy of the day. This is a rare opportunity to acquire an original specification concours example with fantastic provenance of these fabulous cars of which 727 were built less than half remain in regular use , many having the original V12 7338 c.c. engine replaced. Original build sheets, tools , handbook and engine manual.